In a similar move to Autodesk with their Flame products, Avid owners must now be on support before the end of 2014 otherwise they will not be able to upgrade later on. Customers will only be able to upgrade if they are current on support or subcription. Subscription is the answer for the software economy it seems. Here's some details about the new changes:
- All new software licenses include a support contract and costs a bit more
- Licenses can now be purchased on a monthly or annual subscription program
- The subscription program costs considerably more than buying support for an existing license
- You can no longer purchase software upgrades, you will only get upgrades while on support or if you are on a subscription program
- To avoid costly upgrade issues, clients must be active on support before December 31st, 2014!